Alison Friedlander

Blog

Printed half a deer

I had a client contact me and commission a reindeer model for use in OOAK miniatures.

For grins, I decided to see what would happen if I printed it on my own printer. I’d be lying if I wasn’t thinking of undercutting Shapeways and printing these for her myself 

I printed them on a .2 mm layer height. I could have gone for a slightly better resolution, but it was already scheduled to take 4 hrs to print and 8 hrs seemed really nuts for a simple test…

Anyway, It printed better than I expected. I had to aggressively cut supports off the antlers, which somehow stayed intact and the ears look like trash (more on that later), but I think with some finishing it would look pretty reasonable…

If I were to print this again, I would probably rip the antlers off the model completely (and perhaps turn them into little head pegs that could get glued into a slot on the head). That way, if they failed (and you know that’s where this print would fail), I wouldn’t need to reprint the rest of the body…

I also had to go through and thicken all the ears on the model because the printer just left giant holes in them. This happened on a few of my models and I just figured out why.

Apparently, if the walls in that area of the model are thinner than the nozzle width, the printer decided it would be better/more accurate to leave a hole in the model rather than print a single layer of plastic.

To finish this dude, I’m going to try covering it with some Durham’s Rock Hard Water Putty. I have no idea how well it’ll work over plastic, but I’ve used it in some cosplay horns before and it held up to me smashing the horns into a wall with my head with no visible (and the horns were made from floral foam, mind you, so I’d count that as a win).

I’m just hoping it’ll stick to the print… I’ll do another post about the results later…

Update on Deer model as of 6/20/18: I ended up using it to test a faux metal finish instead of the Durham's. More on that delightful experiment later.